My Guide Website?
From Praia: Private Full-Day Trip to Maio Island4 Reviews
Embark on a beautiful two-hour ferry trip from Santiago Island. Discover the unknown paradise of Cape Verde, Maio Island. Explore São José Fortress, agricultural and fishing areas, sand dunes, and the Handcraft Center.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Cape Verde:If youʻre booking your trip to Cape Verde last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Santiago: Trek from Serra Malagueta to Rabelados Community
- From São Vicente: Santo Antão Day Trip with Local Guide
- Sal: Private Airport Transfer to Santa Maria or Espargos
- Boa Vista: Viana Desert Quad Bike Adventure
- From Santa Maria: Two-Hour 4WD Buggy Desert Adventure
- Get to know Maio Island and its unspoiled natural landscapes
- Sunbathe on the deserted white sand beach and dive into the blue, crystal-clear waters
- Enjoy a natural sanctuary where culture and tradition are still preserved
- Marvel at dunes formed from desert sands
- Visit the local craft center and distilleries
DescriptionStarting from your hotel in the city of Praia, head straight to the harbor. The ferry will depart at 7:00 AM for a two-hour trip to Maio. The island of Maio is 103 square miles and is the flattest island on Cape Verde. There, start your discover from the Eco-Museum, and learn about the history of the colonization of the island, rooted in the exploitation of salt, which was exported to several countries such as Brazil until the 19th century. After, visit the Salinas wetland of Porto Inglês and take the chance to see the locals producing salt. Next, drive to Morro village and have a typical breakfast with a local family including the famous Cape Verdean Cuscuz. Your tour continues to the locality of Calheta, where a visit to its handcraft center gives you the opportunity to buy some souvenirs. Then, head towards the agricultural and fishing areas until the Morrinho dunes. There, take an easy walk throughout the white sand dunes brought by the wind from the Sahara desert. Drive to Pedro Vaz village, the first inhabited village, and take a break for a delicious lunch (at your own expense) at a typical, local restaurant. Then, drive back to the capital to visit São José Fortress, built in the 18th century to protect the island from pirate attacks, and Our Lady of Grace Church. The visit ends with a dip at the most beautiful beach on the island, Bitchirotcha Beach. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Maio Island.
IncludesPickup and drop-off at your accommodation in Praia Round-trip port transfers in Praia Round-trip port transfers in Maio Transportation Guide/Driver Liability insurance
- • The ferry ticket is not included in the tour price. We recommend that you book this tour only after booking your ferry tickets via CV Interilhas • This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
- Hotel pickup from Praia starts 1 hour before your ferry's scheduled departure time