My Guide Website?
Santiago: Calabaceira Valley Trek & Visit to Cidade Velha
Enjoy a 3-hour trek in the Green Valley with a local guide. Admire the lush vegetation, then explore the history of the first city built by Europeans in sub-Saharan Africa. Discover the former slave market of Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Walk through dense tropical vegetation in the beautiful Calabaceira Valley
- Visit a local rum distillary at the heart of intact nature rich in local fauna and flora
- Explore all the highlights of Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover the former slave market, Nossa Senhora do Rosário church, and more
- Choose between a shared group or private tour
DescriptionAfter being collected from your accommodation in Praia, depart toward the small village of Calabaceira. Start your 3-hour hike from the top of the valley, with an oasis of vast vegetation emerging in its interior. Follow a simple and accessible trail for any hiker, and explore the green valley famous for both its baobab trees mentioned by Charles Darwin and its use as an escape route for slaves during slavery. Next, discover the local fauna and flora, and have the opportunity to experience the production of a local rum-making distillery. There, get in touch with local farmers and their agricultural fields of sugar cane, mango trees, cassava, banana, and more. Arrive in Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visit the São Francisco Convent, Banana Street, and Nossa Senhora do Rosário church. Have a break for lunch and savor local delights in a typical restaurant right on the seafront. After lunch, visit the former slave market, the ruins of the Sé Catedral, and the Royal Fortress of São Filipe. From the top, enjoy a beautiful view over the whole old town and find out about the system of defense used against pirates. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Praia.
IncludesPickup and drop-off at your hotel in Praia Transportation Tour Guide Liability insurance
- Please be ready for pickup in your hotel lobby 10 minutes before the activity starts
- Please bring comfortable clothes, walking shoes, water, a hat, and sunscreen • Extension: 4500 meters • Descent: 300 meters
- The total walking duration is 2 hours and the total distance is approximately 5 km. The route is at a medium tilt and is narrow at the beginning. The elevation gain is approximately 3 meters and the elevation loss is approximately 186 meters. Max elevation is about 200 meters and minimum elevation is about 14 meters. The trail is one way and is an easy difficulty