My Guide Website?
Santiago: Calabaceira Valley Trek & Visit to Cidade Velha8 Reviews
Enjoy a 3-hour trek in the Green Valley with a local guide. Admire the lush vegetation, then explore the history of the first city built by Europeans in sub-Saharan Africa. Discover the former slave market of Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Cape Verde:If youʻre booking your trip to Cape Verde last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Walk through dense tropical vegetation in the beautiful Calabaceira Valley
- Visit a local rum distillary at the heart of intact nature rich in local fauna and flora
- Explore all the highlights of Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover the former slave market, Nossa Senhora do Rosário church, and more
- Choose between a shared group or private tour
DescriptionAfter being collected from your accommodation in Praia, depart toward the small village of Calabaceira. Start your 3-hour hike from the top of the valley, with an oasis of vast vegetation emerging in its interior. Follow a simple and accessible trail for any hiker, and explore the green valley famous for both its baobab trees mentioned by Charles Darwin and its use as an escape route for slaves during slavery. Next, discover the local fauna and flora, and have the opportunity to experience the production of a local rum-making distillery. There, get in touch with local farmers and their agricultural fields of sugar cane, mango trees, cassava, banana, and more. Arrive in Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visit the São Francisco Convent, Banana Street, and Nossa Senhora do Rosário church. Have a break for lunch and savor local delights in a typical restaurant right on the seafront. After lunch, visit the former slave market, the ruins of the Sé Catedral, and the Royal Fortress of São Filipe. From the top, enjoy a beautiful view over the whole old town and find out about the system of defense used against pirates. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Praia.
IncludesPickup and drop-off at your hotel in Praia Transportation Tour Guide Liability insurance
- Trail Distance: +/- 5 km
- Total Walking Duration: +/- 2 hours
- Degree of difficulty: Easy
- Elevation gain: +/- 3 m
- Elevation loss: -/+ 186 m
- Max Elevation: +/- 200 m
- Min Elevation: +/- 14 m
- Trail type: One Way
- Path quality: Medium tilt, narrow at the beginning and safe.
- Shared Group Trek option is subject to a minimum of 2 participants. In the event that the minimum number is not met, we reserve the right to propose an alternative date; to charge an extra fee to run the tour privately or to cancel a customer's booking for a full refund.
- We strongly advise wearing hiking pants, especially from August to November. Additionally, bring decent footwear, a hat, sunscreen, water and €5 for the entrance to the São Filipe Fortress