My Guide Website?
Santiago: Monte Tchota Natural Park to Pico d'Antónia Hike6 Reviews
Explore the diversity of Monte Txota Natural Park and the surrounding area on this trek. Climb Pico D'Antónia, the highest point of Santiago Island, and enjoy extraordinary views of almost all Santiago's cities and two more of Cape Verde's Islands.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Cape Verde:If youʻre booking your trip to Cape Verde last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Trek through the spectacular Monte Txota Natural Park
- Admire panoramic views from the highest point on the island
- See Maio Island and the Volcano of Fogo Island in the distance, weather permitting
DescriptionYour day begins with the drive to Rui Vaz, where your trek starts. Then climb through the Natural Park of Monte Txota. Located at an altitude of 800 meters and with its own micro-climate, this is one of the coolest places on the island with lots of biodiversity. Then, continue on towards the Pico D'Antónia. With an elevation of 1394 meters, this is the highest point of Santiago Island. When you get close to the top you will enjoy panoramic views of the São Jorge Valley, and possibly Maio Island and Fogo Island Volcano, weather permitting. Your trek will take about 5 to 6-hours, with a stop for a small picnic and views of beautiful landscapes along the way. The route will end with the return to the Monte Txota Natural Park and the ride back to your hotel.
IncludesPickup and drop-off at your accommodation in Praia or São Jorge dos Órgãos Transportation Tour Guide Liability insurance Picnic (soft juice + sandwich + fruit)
- Trail Distance: +/- 9 km
- Total Walking Duration: +/- 4 - 5 hours
- Degree of difficulty: Difficult
- Elevation gain: +/- 660 m
- Elevation loss: -/+ 1280 m
- Max Elevation: +/- 1400 m
- Min Elevation: +/- 485 m
- Trail type: One Way
- Path quality: tilty, narrow.
- Shared Group Trek option is subject to a minimum of 2 participants. In the event that the minimum number is not met, we reserve the right to propose an alternative date; to charge an extra fee to run the tour privately or to cancel a customer's booking for a full refund.
- Suitable for walkers with some fitness and no health problems.
- This activity is for travelers over 16 years old.
- We strongly advise wearing hiking pants, especially from August to November. Additionally, bring hiking shoes and walking sticks as some trails may require level 1 climbing.
- Don't forget to wear a hat, apply sunscreen, and carry water.